Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
PHP Testing Bootcamp
Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 9:00 PM - Thursday, 17 January 2013 at 11:00 PM (EST)
NOTE: Eventbrite is not liking me having a course that goes over 3 days. This class is three sessions:
- January 3, 2013
- January 10, 2013
- January 17.2013
Testing your PHP code is hard. You know you need to do it because you are spending way too many late nights fixing bugs that always seem to show up whenever you launch a new feature. Your stakeholders are mad. Your significant other is mad. Your're mad because you know what to do, you just don't know how to do it.
I can help you leave the office every night on time by showing you how to write code that you can easily test. This will give you the confidence to change your application or add new features, knowing that you have a system that will tell you when you've broken something.
This 3 session online course introduces you to techiques I have been using to succesfully deliver code with fewer bugs and that is easier to maintain. I want to help you get to the point where pushes to production become a non-event because you already know that the application won't break without telling you first.
What will you learn?
- the importance of small modules of code
- how the Law of Demeter and Inversion of Control lead to testable code
- how people really use PHPUnit and Behat to test code that does something beyond Hello World
- why Test-Driven Development is an application design pattern, not just a testing methodology
Interested? There are a few rules
- You have to understand PHP and how PHP does Object Oriented Programming. Since tests are written in PHP, it's very hard to learn the language and write tests for it at the same time
- You are comfortable using Linux and CLI tools. A sandbox can be provided for you that you can use during the course, but you can use your own computer so long as you can install the tools we will be using
- You are not afraid to unlearn the way you have been writing programs as testable code might look very different from your normal development practices
We will be using the following tools:
- PHP 5.3.10
- MySQL 5.5
- PHPUnit 3.7
- Behat 2.4.0
If you want to really push your PHP skills to the next level and learn how to write testable code, this is the course for you.
(Note: NO REFUNDS will be given once the course has started)